~~~REMEMBERING KATHY STAPLES~~~
It is with deep sadness the Board of Trustees of Old Hay Bay Church has learned of the passing of Kathy Staples on November 23, 2018.
Kathy served as a Trustee for 27 years, serving as treasurer, custodian coordinator and genealogical contact for OHBC and surrounding area. Kathy’s passion and dedication to ‘the Grand Ole Lady” was always evident. She will be greatly missed by Rob, Hayden, Mike, Colby and the many connected to our community. As per Kathy’s wishes there will be no funeral. Memorial donations by cheque may be made to Old Hay Bay Church, PO Box 53 Yarker Ontario K0K 3N0.
A tribute to Kathy will be held at our Sunset Service, at Old Hay Bay Church, on July 13th at 7 pm.
- - - - - - RESTORATION PROJECT - - - - - -
It's Happening, but we need $300,000 to do it!
Back in the 70’s, The Board of Trustees of Old Hay Bay Church commissioned the restoration of the Church, focusing mainly on the wood clad siding. Here we are, decades later, and again we see that much needs to be done to preserve the Church, inside and out, as well as our sixty-five year old custodians’ cottage. This Grand Old Lady has endured for 225 years and, as Trustees, it is our responsibility to maintain it, for future generations, but we need your help. The Restoration Committee is seeking grants and private donations to enable this to happen.
“This simple church, built in 1792 by United Empire Loyalists, recalls the early days of Upper Canada settlement. The Methodists’ evangelical zeal was expressed, not only in religious practice, but also in their contributions to Upper Canada’s early social and political development. Stationed on the earliest Methodist itinerant circuit, this site was the location of the first camp meeting in Upper Canada in 1805. The church was enlarged in 1835, and remains the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada.” – Parks Canada
You can also donate by sending a cheque or post-dated cheques, made payable to:
Old Hay Bay Church
c/o Jen Welch-Wilson
P.O. Box 53
Yarker, Ontario K0K 3N0
Donations of $20.00 and over will receive a tax receipt.
Restoration Questions and Information: Click here to contact us.
General Information about Old Hay Bay Church: Click here to contact us.
OLD HAY BAY CHURCH - In The News
Welcome to Old Hay Bay Church
Old Hay Bay Church is the oldest surviving Methodist building in Canada. It was erected in 1792 by settlers, including United Empire Loyalists, who had recently arrived and established the community of Adolphustown (in modern-day Greater Napanee). Here, one can imagine, travelling saddlebag preachers thundered forth in their sermons. Here local residents gathered for worship and fellowship at Canada's first Methodist camp meeting in 1805.
The building was enlarged in 1835, used as a farmer’s barn when the congregation built a new church in Adolphustown, c. 1860, and reacquired for church use in the early 20th century by the Methodists, (continuing, after union in 1925, as The United Church of Canada). In 1957, the church was officially recognized as an Ontario Historic Site, and later in 1992 received the American Methodist designation. Likewise, the church, land, and its nearby cemetery were designated as a National Historic Site of Canada in 2001.
An annual worship service is held in the church on the fourth Sunday afternoon every August.
2017 marked the 225th Anniversary of Methodism with a special celebration.
We will be open 7 days a week,
beginning Saturday May 18th at 10:00 a.m.
200 YEARS AGO - 1719
August 29th, 2019
marks the sad anniversary
of the death of 10 young people,
as they drowned on their way
to Sunday church service.